2008 was a dark year for the movies. Led by The Dark Knight, the year included a variety of excellent-but-dark films, including In Bruges, Frozen River and Revolutionary Road. As usual, most of the best films were crowded into end-of-the-year-releases, each hoping to be the last film lingering on the minds of award voters. From us at Reel Life Wisdom, here are our top 10 flicks of 2008.
1) Slumdog Millionaire - A brilliantly written story reveals modern India while outlining the secrets behind a poor Indian teen's game show success. (quotes)
2) Revolutionary Road - Two great acting performances drive this domestic drama about the life-draining down side of middle class suburbia. (quotes)
3) Iron Man - The best comic book tale of 2008, featuring a weapons manufacturer who fights evil use of his company's wares.
4) In Bruges - A touching, profane, and funny look into the lives of two hitmen hiding out in Belgium after a botched murder for hire.
5) Frost/Nixon - A compelling script features two tarnished celebrities seeking redemption through a battle of the minds on national television. (quotes)
6) Gran Torino - Clint Eastwood is at his crusty best playing a lonely bigot fighting the arrival of a global society in his own backyard. (quotes)
7) Vicki Cristina Barcelona - A thought-provoking tale of two American women whose different perspectives about love are challenged by the Spanish style of romance. (quotes)
8) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Themes of life and death are explored in this quirky story of an young old man growing younger throughout the ages. (quotes)
9) The Dark Knight - Driven by Heath Ledger's chaotic Joker, this film examines human morality when it's tested to the extreme. (quotes)
10) Man on Wire - The unbelievable true story of a man who realized his dream of walking a tightrope between the twin towers of New York. (quotes)
The 10 Best Performances by an Actress in 2008
The 10 Best Performances by an Actor in 2008